Your kitchen is one of the busiest places in the house. You are there at least several days during a day, every day. Thus, you want it to look neat and be super functional. However, if the kitchen isn’t big, it is very difficult to achieve the needed balance between functionality, comfort, and space.
That’s why we have prepared several ideas that will allow you to accommodate those domestic items that you have always wanted to possess. With them, you will not need to sacrifice the space.
A Hidden Lift Platform to Keep Your Domestic Items Ordered
If you have always dreamed about an advanced food processor but you don’t have a place to install it, we have a solution for you. With it, you can buy not only a food processor but whatever item you want. With some automation, space will not be an issue anymore.
This solution is called a lift platform. In every kitchen cabinet, you have those far corners where you either do not keep anything or where you store items that are never used. What about installing your new lift platform there? It will allow you to keep there your magic kitchen device when you don’t use it.
Thus, let us move on with the project itself. For it, you will need a tool to cut wood, a couple of hinges, linear actuators for DIY projects, and the kitchen device that you want to install on the platform.
- In the cabinet top, cut out an opening to let the device pass. The plywood that you got can be used either for the platform or to close the opening when the platform is in a retracted position.
- Now, on the bottom of the cabinet, install the actuator lift system.
- Cut out a piece of wood, plywood, or plastic for the platform. This platform shall pass through the opening in the cabinet top and be able to support the device weight.
- Fix the platform to the lift system. Test it. With a push of a button, the system shall lift the platform to the height convenient to use the device.
- If everything works smoothly, install the device on the platform. Again, test it. The device shall be comfortable to use when the lift system is in the extended position.
- Finally, you don’t want that opening in the cabinet top to be seen. Fix the piece that you cut out on hinges, and the opening will be closed when the lift system is in a retracted position.
If you believe that one lift system isn’t enough to cover all your needs, make several of them. Install them in those places that are rarely used in your cabinets. You will have your kitchen fully equipped.
What about More Optimization?
Now, when the cabinet space is optimized, you can move to the optimization of wall-mounted cabinets. There, the situation might be even more severe. We don’t use a lot of space in kitchen wall-mounted cabinets or use it improperly. However, you can change the situation and install an automated spice rack.
- At the bottom of the cabinet, make an opening to let the spice rack pass.
- Now, get an actuator. Install it on the wall or the backside of the cabinet. In an extended position, the actuator shall move downwards.
- Fix the spice rack to the moving part of the actuator. The spice rack shall pass through the opening in the bottom of the cabinet.
- Now, when the lift system is in an extended position, the shelf with spices is down, you can use it. When you don’t need it, remove it from the cabinet. A push of a button and the lift system retracts and hides the rack.
You can install not a single rack but several of them, wherever you need them. it will optimize the space. You will be able to use all those corners that are usually without any application.
With actuators, you can change everything in your kitchen. Lift platforms and popup racks are not the only optimization ideas. You can install a popup rack for kitchen utensils. Another option is to make a rack for glasses.
The principle is the same as for the spice rack. You can arrange lift systems not only for devices but for dishes, containers, or whatever else you need.
you can also make your kitchen even more advanced by automating your dining table. It is very convenient if you have small kids. They will be able to use the table comfortably, and you will not worry about purchasing a small table for them.
Installing a TV lift will make the usual kitchen work more entertaining. With a lift, the TV set will not take any space, and your family will be able to enjoy their favorite programs and movies without leaving for a different room.
Author: Hayley Mann is a technology enthusiast specializing in automation methods of ergonomics devices. Her engineering background helps her to create interesting articles on technical topics, making them understandable for all readers.