It has been noticed that in the UK many people are fond of urban gardens or home gardens. This is an area where you can plant your crops while learning about gardening and farming. It serves for self-sufficiency and is a pleasure for children and family members.
However, many people do not have enough space to grow crops in a family garden and even to create one they are forced to undertake rubbish removal London or to reduce many items in the yard. For this reason, vertical orchards are a development idea.
As its name suggests, we are talking about growing plants in a vertical garden. Instead of occupying a horizontal space, we will plant vertically to develop the space much better. This way of life has been around for a long time and is a healthy, environmentally friendly alternative. The environment needs a breather against fertilizers, herbicides, pesticides, etc., that are used in agriculture.
In this way, we achieve the possible development of crops at home without taking up too much territory. The activity of a vertical garden is linked to a conscious diet and activities related to recycling and renewable energy. More and more people are joining this lifestyle in which they have an organic garden at home. Some beautiful vertical garden designs use recycled objects for this.
One way to create a vertical garden is to use cardboard boxes, pallets, etc. The vertical structure of the garden can be walked by the staff from one end to the other to be able to enjoy the interior. There is usually a large green blanket covering the entire surface and the plants selected for this section are shade tolerant. It should be taken into account that the crops will not only be for food but can also be ornamental crops. We can design the structure left to us for our vertical garden in our style.
Vertical garden requirements
The plants chosen for this must be shade tolerant at the same time that the surface of the structure must moderate temperatures for a cool and airy environment. The idea of a vertical garden should consider the installation of low impact on the environment as it proposes a new alternative to vertical gardens. This is a great example of how it is possible to recycle objects to create a unique space and take advantage of the many species of plants that can be grown if space is needed in the ground and planted.
Moreover, originality comes into play in this type of project. And it is that a common object can be transformed into something more original and that it is formed to help other people to encourage them to create their vertical garden model. You can have a green space at home without taking up too much space and with a lot of originality. Take an example and follow the pattern and then transform it into something in your style. Even without much space at home, you can enjoy these plants with different and innovative proposals.
How to make a vertical garden
We will explain the main steps you should consider to make your vertical garden. To make a vertical garden at home, you only need a wall on which to mount the structure and containers for placing plants, soil and fertilizer. Of course, there are plants to grow as well. Planters can be completely recycled. Like canker in gardens, vertical gardens have some more specific cultivation techniques. There are different types of materials that can be used as containers or pots.
Some of the most recommended materials are the following:
- Plastic containers: Those that are 5 litres are very easy to find and are quite large. We just have to put it upside down by cutting off the top and we can have a good space to plant.
- Plastic bottles: They are suitable for smaller plants and can be placed by cutting off the top.
- Wooden pallets: a plastic bag should be placed in the space of the pallets where the crops will be planted.
- Fabric shoe rack: It is another of the recycled containers that we can recycle for our vertical garden. It is quite simple to use. We only need to place one plant in each partition.
Let us now give you some design tips for the vertical garden:
- Choose an area of the house where the sun shines for a few hours at a time. The sun is an important ingredient for plants to grow and crops to develop well. We must choose a wall that receives enough light.
- Choose containers well: the most common are plastic or clay bottles. If we are going to build a garden for growing vegetables, the container should be deeper than 20 cm.
- Soil and Fertilizer: It is necessary to use soil that is rich in nutrients and potting compost.
- Know the plants we are planting: We need to know what type of plants we are planting and their growth type. If it is a fast or slow grower, the amount of water and light they need, etc.
- Irrigation system: Being a vertical structure we can use different forms of irrigation systems. The oldest of all is to make a small hole in the upper containers so that the excess water falls to the bottom. In this way, we can choose irrigation and water much more effectively.
As you can see, a vertical garden is a great way to learn about everything related to home farming and can be a great family activity. I hope that with this information you can learn more about how to make a vertical garden and what are its characteristics.